Search This Blog

Sunday 1 September 2013

BFSU

On Sundays, as a family, we always do a lesson from Building foundations of Scientific Understanding by Dr Nebel.   I absolutely love BFSU!  It is aimed at a K-2 audience but I am starting this with all three munchkins as I think it will fill any gaps they may have in their scientific understanding. 

We are following a similar flowchart to what is in the book and so far we have completed lessons A/B1 - A4.  I am busy creating a poster to illustrate what we have learnt so far and will publish that as soon as I am done.

Todays lesson is Lesson B2 - Distinguishing Living/biological, Natural Non-living and Human-made things.  Off we went into the garden to find specimens to classify.

Whilst I thought it would be pretty straight forward, it wasn't!!!  It took me a good few minutes to get my head around the living/biological label as it wasn't as straight forward!!




In our living/biological category we had a flower, tree bark, wood, a leaf, a shell and a few critters - a snail (trying to make a get-a-way!) a worm and an ant.


The natural non-living items are rocks, soil, stones and clay.
 
 
Our human-made items where a bit of pasta, an ice timer, a wooden knight (chess) a bit of lino and a piece of old pottery.
 
The objectives for this lesson where:-
 
  • Correctly assign an item to one of the three categories, Living or biological, Natural nonliving and human made.
  • Recognise, name, and describe key attributes that enable the above distinctions.
  • How we make seperations, ie Orientation, Symmetry, Tenuous quality, etc
  • Recognise and use the following words in their proper context : Biological, resources, raw materials and conservation.
 
The previous lessons we did on BFSU are:-
 
Lesson A/B1 - Organising things into categories
Lesson A2 - Solids, Liquids and Gases.
Lesson A3 - Air as a substance
Lesson A4 - Matter I: Its particulate nature
 
A little humour :- When we where studying Lesson A/B1, organising things into categories, I gave smarty pants and princess perfect a task in the local library to illustrate that they understood the lesson.  I asked them to locate a book "Secret seven Well done by Enid Blyton" and bring it back to me.  Smarty Pants ran off to find a computer to look up the reference and Princess Perfect ran off to near the front of the library. I followed at a distance and overheard her asking the librarian, "Um excuse me ma'am could you possibly tell me where the secret seven aisle would be in the library."  Ha,ha, definetly thinking outside the square!   
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment