Search This Blog

Tuesday 3 September 2013


MY IEW HAS ARRIVED ....... AGAIN!

Hooray!  I am saved from finishing WWE!!!  My IEW has arrived today!
Well this exact product arrived at the beginning of this term but I sent it back for a number of reasons.  I had just finished the PAL programme with Smarty Pants, and since Hunky Monkey was coming home, thought I would spring for the Institute for Excellence in Writing/ Student Writing Intensive Level A deluxe combo for both boys.  When it arrived I found it a bit of a reputation of the Part III of the PAL programme I just completed and thought I couldn't possibly do another KWO (Key word outline).  What really pushed the decision to send it back was the quality of the product that arrived.  It had arrived via the local Australian distributor of the product and they had obviously had an issue with their printer as the pages were streaked and unreadable in places as well as had creases made by the drum of the printer on many pages.  It also took about a month and a half to reach me as the local distributor had gone on holiday and closed up shop for two weeks!  Then they got my address wrong twice!!! Sending it without tracking, so the first parcel is out there somewhere still and the second parcel had to be chased via the postal service as it had again been sent to the wrong address!    This all left we quite annoyed before the product even reached my door and when I saw the shocking quality that was it!  I exercised my right to a 100% full refund and sent it back.  

One of the great things about IEW is you can send it back for a full refund no matter how long you have had the product in your possession! That is confidence.

So first day of Term 3 and I found myself without a curriculum for Language Arts!  I decided to give Writing with Ease - Susan Wise Bauer another go after a very persuasive email from a home school friend. Well week 2 found me ringing my hands and remembering why I had ditched WWE after briefly looking at it in December 2012.  Faced with a year of Narration, Copy work and dictation I thought I would take another look at IEW. I mean there is no creative writing at all till around year 6 with Susan Wise Bauer!

After looking at it closer, without being clouded by the annoyance of the badly delivered shoddy quality product of before, I realised that I should have stuck with my initial feel of the programme which is that it gets the child up and writing immediately and gives them the confidence they need to write effectively.  So I paid the hefty $95 delivery and ordered the product from IEW in the USA.  Well here it is, exactly a week after I ordered it, well packaged and beautifully presented!!  Cant wait to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment